General Support Grant to HCA VanadzorJanuary 8, 2016
|Project title||General Support Grant to HCA Vanadzor|
|Implementation date||January 1, 2015 – December 12, 2017|
|Funding organization||Sigrid Rausing Trust (SRT)|
|Grant amount||35000 pound sterling annually|
|Goal||Support for execution of the Organization’s strategy|
|Expected Results||Apart from ensuring the implementation the Organization’s ongoing strategic actions, in the framework of the project, a number of events were held; field monitoring and research were conducted; capacity building training sessions were organized.
1. In view of the commitment by the Government to ensure life, health and security of its citizens, as well as proper public awareness of them, HCA Vanadzor conducted an analysis of the death cases and circumstances triggered by the hostilities during April 2-5 of 2016 (prior to reaching a ceasefire by the Chiefs of General Headquarters of the Republic of Armenia and Azerbaijan), and after the following tensions, the findings of which were delivered in a report published on December 1, 2016
2. On December 10, 2016, HCAV held an event to mark the International Human Rights Day entitled: “I have a right ….”
3. On December 13, 2016, July 18 and July 20, 2017 HCAV initiated trainings in Ashtarak and Gyumri, respectively, on ‘Fundamentals of human rights. Rights and duties of conscripts and servicemen; legal regulations on protection of conscripts’ rights’
4. On February 11-12, 2017, HCAV, in cooperation with the Center for Media Initiatives held a working discussion with journalists and representatives of numerous state organizations on the topic of ‘Features of covering problems of drug users and persons with mental health problems’. As a result of the 2-day working discussion, some of the participants prepared and published thematic journalistic materials
5. On March 27, 2017 at the 17th session of the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, representatives of Armenian NGOs, including 2 representatives of HCA Vanadzor, presented the progress in implementation of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The Organization’s representatives drew the Committee’s attention especially on ensuring the Convention right to equal recognition before the law and living independently and being included in the community
6. Observation of the April 2, 2017 Parliamentary Elections was co-financed under the Project. The observation was carried out within the ‘Independent Observer Alliance’. About 450 observers trained by the Organization observed the parliamentary elections at 200 polling stations proportionately selected from across the country. The observation mission also counted about 20 international observers. 5 interim references, conclusions and reports on the process and findings of observation were published
7. On January 7-9, 2017, the Organization’s general meeting took place. It was attended by 22 Organization and staff members. At the general meeting, the participants assessed the performance of the Organization’s action plan, reviewed the action plan of 2017 and elected another board.
8. As a result of outgoing work discussions on September 1-3, 2017, HCA Vanadzor developed its Strategy for 2018-2020. The reconsideration of the Strategy and development of the New Strategic Plan were conditioned by new challenges facing human rights in the RA. As a result, the Organization’s vision and mission were edited, its key strategic directions were not changed and its objectives and activities were worded taking into account the new human rights challenges.
9. Special attention was paid to the staff safety, health insurance, professional development and need for psychological support.
Yesterday, on May 24, the Court of General Jurisdiction of Yerevan upheld the motion filed by Ukrainian citizen Bogdan Kaliusskyi’s defender Arayik Zalyan (advocate at HCA Vanadzor) with regard to using bail in the amount of 1,000,000 AMD as an alternative preventive measure.
STATEMENT: We stand ready to support the newly-formed Government in overcoming the existing challenges and shall remain committed to the core principles and agenda of our workMay 19, 2018
We shall continue to focus on the most relevant and pressing issues, including among others human rights, the fight against corruption, the independence of the judiciary, and the development of a free and competitive economy.
The RA NSS and Prosecutor General’s Office do not see grounds for initiating a criminal case against RA citizen Serzh SargsyanMay 18, 2018
The RA National Security Service and the RA Prosecutor General’s Office did not find information containing elements of crime in the report submitted by Chairman of Helsinki Citizens’ Assembly-Vanadzor Artur Sakunts against RA citizen Serzh Sargsyan on April 9, 2018.
The company conducting the construction works is to be involved as a third party in the examination of the claim to cease the construction works at Vanadzor’s Artsakh ParkMay 18, 2018
Today, on May 18, 2018, the examination of the claim filed by Helsinki Citizens’ Assembly-Vanadzor pertaining to ceasing the construction works at Vanadzor’s Artsakh Park started at the Vanadzor Residence of the RA Administrative Court.
The Ukrainian citizen persecuted by the RF law enforcers was provided with an asylum seeker certificate in ArmeniaMay 18, 2018
The RA Migration Service provided an asylum seeker certificate to Ukrainian citizen Bogdan Kaliusskyi (the previous name: Maksim Baidak) in accordance with his application.
Upon the motion of the defender, the examination of the case on the doctor charged with causing the death of a new mother has been adjourned for the second timeMay 18, 2018
Today, on May 15, the examination of the case of Hripsime Nazlukhanyan, a new mother who died at Vanadzor Medical Center in October 2016, was set to be held at the Court of General Jurisdiction of Lori Region.
oday, on May 17, HCA Vanadzor published Armavir Penitentiary Institution convict Armen Shamiryan’s alert about the administrative staff of the penitentiary institution refusing to accept and send the letters addressed to the RA Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense to the addressees on May 15, 2018.
Alert: Employees of Armavir Penitentiary Institution refused to send the convict’s letters to the RA Prime Minister and the Minister of JusticeMay 17, 2018
On May 15, 2018, Armen Shamiryan, who is a convict at Armavir Penitentiary Institution, alerted Helsinki Citizens’ Assembly-Vanadzor again.
The case of Asya Khachatryan, who was subjected to degrading treatment by police officers in Artsakh, is being investigated by the RA Special Investigation Service, and she was referred to the authorities of Artsakh for psychological serviceMay 14, 2018
It is interesting that the criminal case on the citizen of the RA being subjected to degrading treatment by the police officers of Artsakh was initiated at the RA Prosecutor General’s Office. However, the RA Ministry of Justice refused to provide psychological support to the same citizen and referred her to the authorities of the Republic of Artsakh.
On May 11, 2018, the Court of General Jurisdiction of Syunik Region of the RA continued the stage of the examination of evidence related to the case of inciting serviceman Gevorg Khachatryan to commit suicide.