General Support Grant to HCA VanadzorJanuary 8, 2016
|Project title||General Support Grant to HCA Vanadzor|
|Implementation date||January 1, 2015 – December 12, 2017|
|Funding organization||Sigrid Rausing Trust (SRT)|
|Grant amount||35000 pound sterling annually|
|Goal||Support for execution of the Organization’s strategy|
|Expected Results||Apart from ensuring the implementation the Organization’s ongoing strategic actions, in the framework of the project, a number of events were held; field monitoring and research were conducted; capacity building training sessions were organized.
1. In view of the commitment by the Government to ensure life, health and security of its citizens, as well as proper public awareness of them, HCA Vanadzor conducted an analysis of the death cases and circumstances triggered by the hostilities during April 2-5 of 2016 (prior to reaching a ceasefire by the Chiefs of General Headquarters of the Republic of Armenia and Azerbaijan), and after the following tensions, the findings of which were delivered in a report published on December 1, 2016
2. On December 10, 2016, HCAV held an event to mark the International Human Rights Day entitled: “I have a right ….”
3. On December 13, 2016, July 18 and July 20, 2017 HCAV initiated trainings in Ashtarak and Gyumri, respectively, on ‘Fundamentals of human rights. Rights and duties of conscripts and servicemen; legal regulations on protection of conscripts’ rights’
4. On February 11-12, 2017, HCAV, in cooperation with the Center for Media Initiatives held a working discussion with journalists and representatives of numerous state organizations on the topic of ‘Features of covering problems of drug users and persons with mental health problems’. As a result of the 2-day working discussion, some of the participants prepared and published thematic journalistic materials
5. On March 27, 2017 at the 17th session of the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, representatives of Armenian NGOs, including 2 representatives of HCA Vanadzor, presented the progress in implementation of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The Organization’s representatives drew the Committee’s attention especially on ensuring the Convention right to equal recognition before the law and living independently and being included in the community
6. Observation of the April 2, 2017 Parliamentary Elections was co-financed under the Project. The observation was carried out within the ‘Independent Observer Alliance’. About 450 observers trained by the Organization observed the parliamentary elections at 200 polling stations proportionately selected from across the country. The observation mission also counted about 20 international observers. 5 interim references, conclusions and reports on the process and findings of observation were published
7. On January 7-9, 2017, the Organization’s general meeting took place. It was attended by 22 Organization and staff members. At the general meeting, the participants assessed the performance of the Organization’s action plan, reviewed the action plan of 2017 and elected another board.
8. As a result of outgoing work discussions on September 1-3, 2017, HCA Vanadzor developed its Strategy for 2018-2020. The reconsideration of the Strategy and development of the New Strategic Plan were conditioned by new challenges facing human rights in the RA. As a result, the Organization’s vision and mission were edited, its key strategic directions were not changed and its objectives and activities were worded taking into account the new human rights challenges.
9. Special attention was paid to the staff safety, health insurance, professional development and need for psychological support.
During the last few days human rights activist Artur Sakunts’ interview of 2001 was actively circulated in the internet, where speaking about the regulation of Karabakh conflict, he states that compromises are necessary and that some of the occupied lands should be returned to Azerbaijan. Regarding the aforementioned subject Politik.am talked with human rights activist Artur Sakunts, Head of Helsinki Citizens’ Assembly Vanadzor, who pointed out that it was the subsequent campaign against him and the revolution.
Hence, we are in the process of learning how to live and act in free conditions. On the one hand civil society has to cooperate with government; on the other, it has to continue to serve as a vigilant watchdog over the authorities to safeguard society against any possible abuses of the new government.
Robert Kocharyan has not been engaged in politics recently. The separate interviews given by him do not evidence active political activity. Therefore, he should have been engaged in political activity to be subjected to political persecution.
The representative of the party carrying out construction works at Vanadzor’s Artsakh Park did not show up at the CourtJuly 31, 2018
Today, the representative of the third party did not show up at the Court due to having another court session in Yerevan. He had informed the Court about this and asked to adjourn the session. The parties did not object.
Before proceeding with the trial, N. Avetisyan’s representative S. Soghomonyan filed a motion for the aggrieved party to hand over her mobile phone, which is considered as material evidence. The parties did not object, and the Court ruled to uphold the motion and to give N. Avetisyan’s mobile phone to her on the condition of submitting it to the Court at the request of the Court if needed.
Sakunts: Only through constitutional amendments is it possible to neutralize the danger of not resisting the temptation of powerJuly 30, 2018
“Even in the case of the most perfect Constitution, nobody has guarantees that no group will seize power,” Artur Sakunts, Chairman of Helsinki Citizens’ Assemby-Vanadzor, mentioned in the press conference held today.
Yesterday, on July 26, 2018, the RA Civil Court of Appeal examined the appeal of the HCA Vanadzor employees against the payments established by the RA Law on the Compensation for the Damages Caused to the Life or Health of the Servicemen while Defending the Republic of Armenia (Law on 1000 AMD) and scheduled a date for the delivery of the decision.
The Appellate Court rejected the appeal by Armenian Women’s Front member Susanna Simonyan; a cassation appeal is to be filedJuly 27, 2018
On July 26, 2018, at a session where A. Sargyan and A. Poghosyan were present, the RA Administrative Court of Appeal presided by K. Mkoyan rejected the appeal on the case of Armenian Women’s Front member Susanna Simonyan and left the judgment rendered by the RA Administrative Court on April 6, 2017 unchanged.
The relatives of deceased serviceman Zhorik Petrosyan do not believe in the official version of the death causeJuly 27, 2018
According to the data of the RA Ministry of Defense, at around 3.30 pm on July 24, 2018, the corpse of ordinary serviceman-combat soldier Zhorik /patronymic name: Vahag/ Petrosyan (born in 1999) was found in the combat position of one of the RA military units located in the south west. There was a gunshot wound in the head.
The serviceman drafted with health issues in January 2018 was declared unfit for military service and was discharged in JuneJuly 26, 2018
S. K., who was drafted with mental health issues and nocturnal enuresis in January 2018 and right from the day following the conscription was hospitalized due to the flu and then pneumonia, was declared unfit for military service with the support of HCA Vanadzor and was discharged.