0 8000 12 11

FREE Hotline to report human rights violations

October 22. Any targeting of civilians is unacceptable and must stop, says NATO Secretary General

October 22, 2020

Activities | Peacebuilding | Project։ Stability of HCA Vanadzor in the light of democracy and human rights challenges in the Republic of Armenia 2020 | Peaceful Regulation of Convicts | Publications | News

The NKR Infocenter reported that the night between October 21-22 was relatively calm in peaceful settlements. However, the Republic of Artsakh/NK regions of Martuni and Martakert were again the target of the Azerbaijani aggression. In particular, the Azerbaijani armed forces used artillery in the direction of Martuni town and Herher village of the same region, caused material damage to the civilian population. This is the second day that the enemy has been using military aviation in the direction of  Martakert town and nearby villages. Essential damage was caused here, as well. Fortunately, there were no deaths or injuries among the civilian population during the day.

 

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and President of the Republic of Armenia Armen Sarkissian met in Brussels. During the meeting, NATO Secretary General  said that NATO is deeply concerned by ongoing violations of the ceasefire, which have caused tragic loss of life. It is important for NATO and international security that hostilities end; the suffering stops; and a peaceful solution is found. It is vital that all sides now show restraint, observe the ceasefire, and de-escalate.


Any targeting of civilians is unacceptable and must stop. All must now work towards a sustainable political solution. Armenia and Azerbaijan should resume negotiations to reach a peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. And the efforts of the co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group continue to be essential.

 

On October 22, the World Health Organization Regional Director for Europe Hans Kluge made a statement expressing his concern over the increase of coronavirus cases in the NK. The statement is as follows, “Since late September, the violence has displaced tens of thousands of civilians, injured hundreds and killed many. The hostilities are already contributing to a dramatic acceleration in COVID-19 transmission. Continued cycles of violence and subsequent population displacement will exacerbate the precariousness of the health situation. The conflict is causing a direct disruption to health care, further burdening health systems that are already stretched by the pandemic. WHO calls for no time lost nor efforts unspent in protecting lives and livelihoods from a public health threat unprecedented in our lifetimes. WHO urges all parties to the conflict to protect civilians and health-care facilities caring for the wounded and sick in line with international humanitarian law. In the context of COVID-19, it is especially crucial that all health workers are kept safe from violence so they can sustain the pandemic response. An immediate cessation of hostilities is vital to preserve access to health services – a fundamental human right”.

 

Vahram Poghosyan, spokesperson of the President of the Republic of Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh, reported that military actions were actively continuing along the entire frontline. The Defense Army is currently fighting fiercely in the environs of Shekher and Jivani villages of Martuni region.


So far, the Azerbaijani aggression killed 38 civilians in total, 37 in the Republic of Artsakh/NK and 1 in the Republic of Armenia.

 

Read about the previous days HERE 

Photo: Armenian unified infocenter/Հայկական միասնական տեղեկատվական կենտրոն

views: 188

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Private: Feedback

Select the relevant connection